
I woke up today and no one was home, so I decided to visit Recoleta; home of the famous cemetery where so many important Argentine historical figures rest. I decided to walk it, although it is far, and I had only a minimal idea of where it was. I just got the general direction from a map and started heading that way.
Walking some 50 odd Argentine blocks (there and back) is no joke, they are really long (100 meters each, maybe?). Anyway, I made it without incident, after homing in on the cemetery, and then having to walk entirely around it to find the entrance, turns out it was mere meters from where I first started. It was worth it, as this was on the way

After finally making it into the cemetery I was immediately asked if I wanted a map (the whole place is a maze) for 4 pesos. But I decided to continue with the day's mapless theme, so I declined.
I wandered where ever I felt like, spending my time creeping around in the uninhabited section near the wall.
About halfway through I also found an unofficial guide, who probably knows the cemetery better then anyone.

This is him, the undisputed feral king of the cemetery. The rest of the feral residents were cats whose organization was tenuous at best. Had they tribed up they could have taken him.
Anyway he was more than happy to show me around and even ended his tour near Evita Peron's grave just like the real guide.

Many of the crypts had broken windows with gaps big enough to stick a camera through

And this one didn't have a door at all, I could have just walked downstairs (under the flap).

Other interesting graves:





Good damn day.
No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario