domingo, 13 de abril de 2008

Day 5 & 6 Palermo/Discos

Day 5.1 (4/12/08)

Today we went to the Palermo district via el autobus. Palermo is known as Buenos Aires trendy area and the district itself is divided into several sections. The "hippest" (i hate that word) of which is Palermo Soho, named after the neighborhood in NYC. This area used to be filled with small local clothing designers but in the past year they have been pushed out by big name international brands. This is the Nike store, which used to be a local company that sold women's apparel.

Despite this bastardization of local culture the interior is indeed impressive. Of course, the prices are ludicrous, very similar to their American counterparts.

Providing a sharp contrast are the street vendors which line the sidewalks. They are typically selling cheaply made local goods. I copped a pair of sunglasses from this guy with a faux hawk, a soccer jersey and some big-ass, knock-off, stunna shades.





This bazaar was fucking crazy, this is where they sell the shit for the jewish wholesale district to consumers. Its like full contact shopping, everyone is all in your face trying things on and yelling. Quite the sensory overload, but I felt I owed it to myself to walk through it to get the full experience. Which it was.


Not sure why I wanted to put this in here, its one of the many alleys that crisscross the main streets.


After returning home for a siesta, I went over to the neighbor Martin's house to have dinner and drinks. This is him.

The plan was to tip back a few and go out to the disco, as its called. He also invited a friend over, someone he grew up with in his province outside the city. I still can't remember the name of his friend or the province.
Over drinks we had an excellent discussion about the state and differences of our country's politics and differences between our countries in general. I dispelled the myth that all americans drive v8's. But did explain about the SUV epidemic. They were also shocked to learn the Matt Groening is from Portland and went to my high school. The simpsons are huge down here and family guy too.
Martin got a text from some lady he met on the internet suggesting we go to this place called lanskys. So we did, by this point i was pretty wasted (borracho) and managed to stay right on the brink of losing it by a carefully monitored intake of gin for the rest of the night.
So the disco was pretty much like an overgrown Tube with hotter girls and less hipsters.


They played reggaeton, Madonna's Like a Virgin [in spanish!], Rock national (which sounds like a cross between polka and U2), and this fucked up techno that was a twisted spanish version of happy hardcore. Everytime one of these would come on I would yell tetchno!! at the top of my lungs. Eventually Martin and homeboy caught up with me in alcohol consumption and Martin's friend borrowed my camera and started taking pictures of girl' asses, much to my delight.


Finally the girl Martin had been expecting showed up, with an no so attractive friend in tow. Who Martin's friend apparently found extremely hot and was all over. After dancing for an hour or two more I began to get a little too spinny, and said I was leaving. Martin said he would come with me, but I told him to stay with his lady. I grabbed a cab (one with no sticker on the backdoor, which means they are independant, and locals recommend you avoid them, oh well) and drunkenly told him my address. He was fine though and got me home in 5 minutes (total fare 6 pesos or 2 USD).

(4/13/08)
I woke up the next day (today) and felt like shit all day. So i slept, now its 9:30 pm, my parents went out again, so I am smoking weed and thinking about eating this weird ham in the fridge.

Patagonia Son!

No hay comentarios: