miércoles, 23 de abril de 2008

Day 15 San Telmo/La Boca

Day 15

Dear lord, I took one hundred and thirty six pictures today.

Today we returned to San Telmo to see what it was like without the weekend market and tourists and went to La Boca, Buenos Aires' oldest neighborhood.

Ok this isn't either of those places, its the congress building and its about two blocks away from my house on Callao, a busy one way 4 lane street. But its a good picture so I included it anyway.

And across the street is this abandoned Cafe/Building that is slowly rotting away, I would really like to get inside this one. At the base is this crazy bum house this guy constructed right on the sidewalk. For some reason this is tolerated, but only from him. I will try to get a picture of it one of these days.


I have already posted pictures of San Telmo, so I will just add this one. This lady, in pseudo-Gaucho attire, and everyone else, are looking down the street where someone just set off what sounded like an M-80, for no reason of course.

I also broke down and purchased that knife I spoke of earlier. I just couldn't get it out of my head and had to do it.

Onto La Boca, this is the first thing I saw when I got off the bus: a hotted-out fiat.

These are two bridges (old and new) that cross what was Buenos Aires' main shipping channel in the 1920's. They have changed it twice more since then.

River Riachuelo. I have never seen a more polluted, stinky-ass river. When the local soccer team The Boca Jrs. play their arch rivals, the Rio Plate, the Rio Plate fans love to rub this fact in La Boca's faces by wearing surgical masks to the games.

Still its quite scenic.

This is La Boca proper, the bright colors were the idea of an artist (Quinquela Martin) who encouraged everyone to paint their houses this way to give the neighborhood character.

Other neighborhood shots:



Notice the makeshift barbwire on the wall: broken glass mounted with cement.

We also went to the Museo de bellas Artes de la Boca, housed in the space where Quinquela Martin lived and worked.
Despite many signs warning that no photography was allowed I snuck this shot of a great painting by Nicolas Menza, there was a whole room full of these, all following the same theme.

You can also walk out onto the Terraza, which offers excellent views of the river and Lo Boca proper. Note the layer of black sediment accumulated in the middle of the river.





This is one of the many convertible tourist buses that roam the city.

Tomorrow, I am going into the jungle, albeit a tame and touristy jungle, complete with hotel (the real jungle comes next week, hopefully).
So this will be my last update until this weekend.
One more thing, Feliza the neighbor cat is apparently a natural lolcat, I need a good caption for this one:

No hay comentarios: